Careless copy is a lost opportunity.
If you rely on written communication to achieve something specific (like increased sales or more newsletter signups), then a copywriter can help.
Good copy is all about empathy. It involves much more than just scribbling (or typing) a few flyblown phrases like the best in the business or get yours while stocks last. In fact, it often works best when it avoids salesy language altogether, because most people don't like being sold to.
Good copy anticipates what people want, and gives it to them. Even better copy surprises them by telling them something interesting or new. The very best copy uses storytelling & content to add something genuinely meaningful to people's daily lives. At its simplest, it provides the right information at the right time. And it does all this without the greasiness of a snake-oil salesman, or the unsolicited speech-making of a door-knocker.
None of the above is really "about me", so for good measure here are a few things I love:
- Embarking on bizarre travel adventures.
- Discussing an obscure aspect of history after too much red wine.
- Granada, Spain (my current home).
- Sitting outside a cabin in the mountains, on a brisk but sunny morning, with a mug of black coffee in my hand and the promise of a long day of walking ahead.
- The smell of new tennis balls.
- Great writers.
- Brushing my teeth under the stars.
- This list.
What you can expect from working with me.
There are a few things you might like to know before you commit to working with me:
- I'll be open and upfront about my rates. No hidden fees or other nasty surprises.
- I'll meet all deadlines I agree to, barring some horrible twist of fate (in which case I'll likely have much bigger problems than a missed deadline!).
- I only take on projects that I feel I can make a meaningful contribution to. If I don't think I can do this for you, I'll tell you at the outset.
- I love to write for people who are making the world a better place. I offer a discount to certain kinds of charities, NGOs, student projects, and so on. Just drop me a line and we can discuss it!
- I like the Oxford comma but I'll avoid it if you insist.
- British English, American English, and Australian English are all within my comfort zone (even though the latter is mostly mosquito noises).
- Copywriting is a collaborative process. I can't do my job properly unless I ask you questions and listen carefully to your needs and feedback. And because this sort of communication is so important, I don't want to disincentivise it. Emails, Skype calls, and minor revisions won't cost you extra.
- This is how payment works.
One other thing. Right now I'm based in Spain (GMT+02:00), but I do my best to be flexible for things like Skype calls. My home country (New Zealand) has almost the exact opposite timezone, after all.
What happens next?
Contact me here or flick me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm always happy to provide a no-cost, no-obligation quote. Once we've decided to work together, we can either chat about the specifics over email or arrange a call. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch!